Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Hero worthy of the name

When my girls grow up, I hope they look back on the last few moments with an amazing memory of getting to see history in the making...


Lance Mackey just won his forth consecutive Iditarod dogsled race!!!!


The four of us sat here around the laptop listening to a live radio show out of Nome and then just seconds before he pulled into town we got the live feed from the local news channel and got to watch it all LIVE!!!!! I get teary just thinking about it...and so greatful that we all got to watch it together!!! The girls were so excited and I just can't help but feel this pride mixed with unexplainable excitement to have witnessed such an event! As Lance pulled into town and got off his sled, everybody and their brother came up to him to congratulate him and he just kept checking on his dogs, hugging them and petting them and I imagine telling them "Good Job". Even as the official people made their checks of his sled (they are required to carry certain items and have to have them with them to win) Lance was giving his dogs treats and getting THEM settled before he took his turn in the spotlight....that, to me, is a man worthy of the term hero.... In a world where bigger is thought to be better and flashy is always more appealing, it is good to know that somewhere on this globe people take the time and appreciate a job well done....it's a long ride from Anchorage to Nome...1049 miles for those of you who don't know...

A friend of mine from college Nathaniel posted these amazing pictures from the start of the Iditarod. His pictures have always been amazing and have always spoken to me...they capture something special. I hope you enjoy them too...please tell him I sent you!



I just got this in the mail yesterday. I had a friend of mine send it from Alaska so I could surprise Jason on the annivesary of us meeting...at Jitters. I knew I wasn't going to be able to wait! I gave it too him after we watched Lance win and we brewed a pot right away to celebrate! It was SOO yummy!!! Now we'll see how much of a buzz we have and how much energy I have this evening!Maybe I'll get some much needed crafting in! Pictures are sure to follow! :)

No comments: