Monday, October 25, 2010

The Demise of a pumpkin

Today we decided it was time to cut into the pumpkins....we've been reading all these great books and couldn't resist!


Out of all the books we read, I think this one left the most lasting impression...it's about a class who wants to know how many seeds are in their pumpkin with an underlying story that bigger isn't always better....gotta love a good wholesome story!




Before starting the demise...we all took a guess at just how many seeds we would find...

Small Pumpkin guesses...

J- 60
R-29
DH-342 (we thought he was crazy!)
Me- 99

Larger Pumpkin guesses...

J-176
R-80
DH-190
Me-300





and the results?


Drum roll please...

Small pumpkin seeds totaled....

321!

So I guess DH wasn't so crazy afterall! lol



And the big pumpkin?




Are you beating on the nearest surface?


.......I can't hear you....


drum roll please.....


506!!! How cool is that?







We got to make lots of comparisons about the differences we found...like the color of the meat inside...




and the size of the seeds too!






After soaking them in salt water over night these are going to make a great snack!

And the small pumpkin was quickly turned into these...



Chocolate chip pumpkin cookies!

(Recipe thanks to my dear friend Aimee!)

Enjoy!



2 1/2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1 c butter
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 16 oz. can 100% pure pumpkin
1 t vanilla
1 c chopped walnuts (I left these out-not much of a nut in cookies fan)
1 12 oz. bag semisweet chocolate chips


Directions:1. Preheat oven to 375.


Grease 2 cookie sheets.


Mix flour, powder, soda, and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl


Beat butter and sugar together in another bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until smooth and well blended. Mix in the pumpkin and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add the flour mixture, stirring to make a smooth batter. Stir in nuts (if desired) and chocolate chips.


Drop by T sized spoonfulls onto prepared sheets.


Bake in preheated oven until edges are golden, 18-20 minutes. Cool briefly on sheets and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Don't you just LOVE fall? My house is smelling so yummy these days!

8 comments:

Kimberley said...

I so made pumpkin spice cookies today to w/choco chips lol

Belly Charms said...

I am already a follower and I can't believe you actually counted all of those. I had no idea there were so many. Happy Halloween.

Danielle said...

Following you via the Halloween Hop! Have a great Halloween! Hope you'll stop by and visit. http://mylifeinjenga.blogspot.com

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We had so much fun with that book - we did the activities too - the kids loved it!

Laura O in AK said...

Those cookies look fabulous. The boys carved their pumpkins on Saturday and hubby roasted the seeds. We just didn't do so much learning with counting seeds, etc.

Glad I can share pictures from your old stomping grounds in Alaska. (We didn't do the Teddy Bear Picnic at Bear Paw this year, but might next summer as son # 4 will be almost 2.)We just got a few inches overnight, so it's a winter wonderland outside. I just wish they plowed the roads better as Fish Hatchery (the road we live off) scares me sometimes.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

How fun! Thanks for joining WMCIR!

Amber said...

I DO love fall! And I've been enjoying following your blog, so I nominated you an award on my page.

http://glutenfreemotherhood.blogspot.com

Look for the versatile blogger award post!

Breathing In Grace said...

I LOVE pumpkin...anything pumpkin!!! Saw a recipe recently that was pumpkin cheesecake!! YUMMY!!! Thank you for stopping by Jeremiah 29:11 and leaving such a sweet comment...I appreciate you so much!!