Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Coca Cola memories....

For as far back as I can remember, it was always a special treat to go with my mom to the local drugstore for penny candy and  a special Coke drink. Those were the days when old time pharmacies were still few and far between and so held onto a piece of history and simplicity. Now a days tho, I couldn't even tell you where to find a place like that! I loved the simplicity of sitting on that bar stool (complete with shiny medal sides and vinyl seat) eating penny candy, a flavored Coke and Indian sunflower seeds and getting to chat with my mom... sigh... that was heaven! It wasn't flashy but it was special. Everyone that walked in the door had the potential for being some long lost friend of the family and even tho there were years in between our visits to that pharmacy (we went there on vacation), the gal behind the counter always remembered us and seemed happy to see us!

As with everything else, time changes things and unfortunately that little pharmacy was one of them. They later closed their doors and moved to a new location. They still had a counter there but it was never the same and that place eventually closed too. It's so sad to me that I won't be able to share that experience with my girls.. but I will be able to share the special flavored Coke drinks! Most people have probably tried the regular Coke, Diet or Coke Zero and some have even had the vanilla Coke but have you ever had a lemon Coke? I still get strange looks at restaurants when I ask for lemons in my Coke! But the be all end all BEST flavored Coke will always be the chocolate Coke... yes you read that right... Chocolate Coke!! It took us awhile but we finally mastered the flavor by add some Hershey's syrup (just enough to cover the bottom of your empty drinking glass) and then pour in the Coke and stir. Be careful as it will create chocolate bubbles (go ahead and slurp them up- you know you want to!) that may try to overflow the glass depending on it's size! If you want the true experience, find the little red packets of Indian pumpkin seeds, the ones that by themselves are way too salty but with the chocolate sugar buzz in the Coke .... PERFECT!

 I think I ever drink one of those without closing my eyes for a brief second and remember the pure joy of sitting in that pharmacy with my mom...I hope this drink brings you the same kind of joy. Share it with your kids and create your own memories!! It really is the little things that matter!

About Coca-Cola®


Created in Atlanta, Georgia, by Dr. John S. Pemberton, Coca-Cola was first offered as a fountain beverage by mixing Coca-Cola syrup with carbonated water. Coca-Cola was introduced in 1886, patented in 1887, registered as a trademark in 1893 and by 1895 it was being sold in every state and territory in the United States. In 1899, The Coca-Cola Company began franchised bottling operations in the United States.

More info: www.cookingwithcoke.com




Join Coca-Cola® on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cocacola



Join Coca-Cola® on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cocacola










I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Coca-Cola® blogging program. If I am one of the first 100 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 gift card. For more information on the program, click here.

2 comments:

Mandie said...

hey, hallie. your post reminded of new scrapbook product. is that sad or what?! lol. if you are making a lo about your memories though, it would be perfect! (5 & dime from october afternoon. lol)

Mandie said...

hey, hallie. your post reminded of new scrapbook product. is that sad or what?! lol. if you are making a lo about your memories though, it would be perfect! (5 & dime from october afternoon. lol)