Friday, December 11, 2009

K-LOVE Home for the Holidays

Some time ago, before Christmas, there was a contest on my favorite radio station KLOVE. It was called Home for the Holidays and consisted of writing a letter to the person that makes you think of " home". We were instructed to write as if we were talkin to them face to face and telling them why they mean so much to us...All of that for a chance to go home for the holidays. Obviously I didn't win so I don't know why I kept the letter I wrote but thought I would share it here...


As a small child, my mother and I lived with my grandparents after my father left us. My mother had to work so I spent my days with my gram. She was the best baker I have ever known and had the biggest heart. She would bake and cook for anyone that would eat it! I can remember running errands with her and my Aunt Bern or going to visit my great grandparents. When I think of her, I think of how selfless she was. She gave me the start in life that I will forever be greatful for...Eventually my mom remarried a great man and we moved away for an exciting military life and I then married into the military life again which has kept me away for many years. One thing that has never changed is my connection with my Gram. The last few years have been hard, as dementia/early onset alzheimers has taken so much of my gram away from us. I treassure the talks we have and the things I have learned from her over the years but I can feel her slipping away. I wish I could tell her how much she means to me and how much she is a part of me but I know it would confuse and upset her. She's one of the strongest women I know. I want to be able to teach my girls the things she has instilled in me... I love you Gram!

I could have gone on to say SO much more but they limited the amount of words....Who would you write your letter to and what would you say?

No comments: