Friday, June 10, 2011

Penguins, Books and Summer

For most people summer is just getting started, or about to anyways... and you might find yourself thinking "What now?" The kids are out of school, the temperatures are climbing and you can only hang out at the pool for so long! Sound familiar? Well, let me tell you about a few programs going this summer to keep you entertained and keep those kiddos reading!!

PBS and Scholastic have teamed up with IVillage to bring you a summer reading program right to your inbox! Get daily emails with book ideas and projects to keep your kids reading and happy this summer! I just signed up too and can't wait to get more ideas, as if I don't have a list long enough of my own! lol

For those of you that haven't heard yet, there are also reading incentive programs going on at Borders and Barnes and Noble! Have your kids read, fill out a form and get free books! Who doesn't love free books?! :)

Last night we started reading Mr. Poppers Penguins in preparations for this summers newest movie coming out!! And yet again we had to check out 365 Penguins from the library... why I haven't just ordered it is beyond me! lol We read it back in February and they are still in love with it! If you haven't read it, you really should. And if you need ideas of things to do with it just check out what we made! And of course I felt inspired to create a new puppet for the shop!

 


While I love to read, I also love a good movie... however, I have this thing about books being made into movies... they are never as good!! So... I kinda have this rule that if a movie was first a book, we have to read the book first! I think it's important for kids to experience the story in its entirety so we are reading this one in a hurry to be ready for the movie coming out! Only three chapters in, I can tell you that its a really easy read and will go by quite fast! While I can tell from the commercials that the story has been altered big time, it still looks like it will be great and come on, who doesn't love Jim Carey? Just in time for Father's Day....




Are you stumped on what book to read? Check out the Book Finder from PBS! OR just ask me... if you dare... I could go on and on and on about books!

No comments: