Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Another loss to a world of readers

I know I am WAY behind on this blog and I really have so much I want to share with all of you and just haven't had the time to write. I am almost bubbling over from inspiration lately and can't wait to get it all out in words but for now I just had to take a moment of remembrance. I couldn't let this day end without my own little moment of silence... a tribute if you will...

When my English teacher announced that we were going to be reading a Science Fiction book in my Sophomore English class I can still remember the feeling of dread that seemed to settle in the pit of my stomach. I was just so certain that there was no way I would enjoy ANYTHING under the label of Science Fiction...how could she be so cruel as to make us all read something so terrible and boring... and then we began to read.... My true love of a book was born that day and the story of Guy Montag and the temperature at which books burn (Fahrenheit 451 in case you didn't know) would become my all time favorite book, even now a good 15+ years later there is a copy of this book on the bookshelf in my room. 




 Thanks to that particular English teacher and that amazing book, I opened my mind up to a whole new world of possibilities. Mostly I stuck to reading other books by that same author but still... I was broadening my horizons! :) I later went on to read many of his other great books including The Illustrated Man. What an amazing writer to create such stories!!

Today, as I was coming in from a treasure hunt for old books at my favorite antique shop here while visiting family (talk about a great score of old kids books!) I heard on the news clip that a famous Science fiction writer had died. Ray Bradbury was still the only Science fiction author I have ever read and I just held my breath till they announce who it was...

Today the world loss yet another great author... Ray Bradbury. It makes me so sad that a writer so talented is no long in this world as we know it and can only hope that young readers to come will discover his writings and love them as much as I have...

RIP

Ray Bradbury  
August 22, 1920-June 6, 2012



We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out- Ray Bradbury

No comments: