Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Torch has passed....

I have always been so fascinated by the Kennedy family. I can't explain it, but it's always been there. I never tire of the books and learning about their marks on history. I don't know if its because they are the closest thing we have to royalty or if it's just an honest interest in this family that has given so much for our country.
As I watch the final passing of a torch started so many years ago, my mood is somber. I have no connection to this man, and don't even share his views in politics but I have much admiration for a man that could give his life for public service. Sen Ted Kennedy has always had to live in the shadows of his famous brothers, but in reality it is him that has gotten to shine, to accomplish things in his life that they didn't and to live a full life. I try not to focus on his short comings, which have been beyond public too, but instead think of the incredible service he gave.
Today is not about politics, or being a Republican of Democrat...it's mourning the loss of someone, of a chapter, in history. I watch the groups of people on the sidelines who have been out in the sun and heat for hours and you know that they aren't all his constituents. They are simply there to pay their respects.
I hope that more people can realize that being an American isn't about being on the winning team, or part of the ruling political party. It's more so about our differences and embracing them and although we may not all agree with the politics of this Senator from Massachusetts, his views have done good for people and challenged others to fight for their views and reach their potential too...
I am so proud to be an American and thank all those, on both sides of the isle, for all they do to keep this the land of the free and the home of the brave.