Thursday, July 8, 2010

A party to remember












This 4th of July was a bit different than most...there were no BBQs in our backyard, decorations to get out or friends coming over to set off fireworks...so instead of focusing on what we don't have for the time being, (and because we had a long weekend,) we got to head north a few hours and spend the time with some of DH's family.....it was a weekend to remember...and one of the most memorable 4th of July celebrations I have ever experienced...


This table always seems to have room for everyone, and is always surrounded with love and good times with family...



This was one of THE most amazing meals! Totally a good ol' fashioned American meal! So perfect for the weekend of family and friends...


We got to head out to "the farm" for a BBQ and fireworks with extended family (that never feels like extended family but rather just family).... I never thought it was possible to marry into a family and instantly think of it as your own. I listen to other people talk about having to go visit family like it's such a chore and I just sit quietly, and think how thankful I am to have married into a family that welcomed me so easily into their clan. As much as we have hated being here in TX, I wouldn't trade it for anything because it has given us the chance to be close enough for a number of holidays like this one....with a melting pot feel of families gathering for the very basic of celebrations....with a number of generations all pulling together to celebrate such things as Independence and thankful hearts...









I just loved being surrounded by nature and a down home feel that has been lost in so many ways...


...on that day, I seemed to see things more deeply and detailed...



...and the camera was there to capture it all!


I don't know the story behind this car, of where it came from even whose it was but I found myself intrigued by it and couldn't help but take numerous pictures of it throughout the day...it seemed to be a gathering point for people too so it just seemed natural for me to gravitate to it...



I think I have taken a picture like this every 4th of July since J was born and it just keeps getting cuter and cuter each year!


The kids got to feed the cows! What a highlight!

I just loved the feel of being on a farm and wish the day hadn't gone by so fast!



As the daylight started to dwindle, the lightening bugs began to show in the trees...I know this picture didn't capture the bugs but you can imagine them there...I thought this shot looked like you could go exploring and find the secret garden hiding amongst those trees....



There was no big fireworks display, like you would see in a big city, but I really don't think anyone noticed....the kids were happy with the fireworks the big "kids" brought to play with and the older folks of the group were happily mingling and eating cobbler and homemade ice cream...it was something to experience....and not a day I will soon forget....sometimes the best things are simple and the most remembered are with family close by...








No comments: