Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Free harvest

I almost feel guilty for the good fortune that seems to be blessing us lately....after the stress of a very drawn out move it all just seems too good to be true! Finding the house that we live in just happened on a fluke, and actually it happened when I thought I was ready to just give up trying. We had searched for months hoping to find a house to rent so we could have it all lined up and ready when we got here. We even had friends of ours go look at a number of them and they all turned out to be duds (which is putting it nicely!). When we thought we had a house all lined up we were overjoyed at the thought of just being settled. Now that house was far from perfect but it did have the largest backyard we had found as of yet and it did offer the square footage we were hoping for, along with a TINY kitchen and a yard that also needed an overhaul...but it was the best option we had found thus far and was the biggest bang for our buck....bang was right! We were knocked for a loop when I called to confirm the day we would be arriving only to find out that the house had been rented out from under us!!! This all transpired somewhere between South Dakota and Montana...in route to Washington!!! I was crushed and I'll admit there were a few tears...we were just so tired of being displaced and were so anxious to get settled and the thought of having to start our search all over was very daunting....





That's when our friend sent me a link to a house that she thought might work. It too was not perfect but it offered the basics of what we needed and to be honest I just didn't care. I just wanted to have a house waiting for us. I had given up on finding the house of our dreams and figured we'd just have to settle for a cramped little house where we couldn't sneeze without our neighbors hearing it. That house didn't work out after all but it did get us connected with the nicest realtor! She suggested that we try looking for a house out of the city in a more rural area. We had originally wanted to be in the country but after talking to a number of people, we were convinced that the commute to work would be terrible and not worth it. The realtor sent me a list of houses to check out and at least consider and the first one (that we happen to now be living in) really spoke to me!!! We decided that the commute was well worth what we would be getting in return.... 4 bedrooms, (we SO needed a schoolroom) and room to breath...5 acres to be exact! lol



Looking back, I can only imagine how funny God thought we were...all that worry and He knew exactly what he was doing! Why is it that we can see things so clearly looking backwards? Even at the time I knew that it would all work out, but I was just too tired to think clearly and needed to feel safe and comfortable again.


As it turns out, God really did a number on things for us...not only did we get our basic needs but He seemed to think of every detail along the way...



right down to the chickens that came with the house,



the huge garden area that we'll have next spring,





the very nice tiller we got on close out





....and the plethora of blackberry heaven we just discovered yesterday....








We make the best choices we can for our lives and the lives of our children and have to just know that we are doing the best we can and that God has a plan for us, even if it's not on the road before us but rather on a dirt road off to the side... I am speechless for words almost on a daily basis and wish I could thank Him more graciously for the free harvest He has set before us....but the words escape me so I'll just make the most of this free harvest and do my best to appreciate this life to it's fullest....

No comments: