Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An open window...

I said I wasn't going to write a blog today. I was going to remain silent instead of taking a chance coming across as a sore loser but I just can't. I want to give others in my position a thought for today...it's no real secret that today is not how I had hoped it would end up. In my mind, it would have been a different candidate up on that stage taking an oath, but it's not and we all have to move on. Now is not the time to focus on what might have been but rather a day to witness a grand moment in history and to rally behind our new commander and chief. I am so proud to be an American and to live in a world where hate has turned into love and tolerence, a place where we can embrace our differences. Politics aside, today is a bright day in our country's history and I feel as tho we should all embrace this season of change and make the best of every gift we are given. We have a right to vote and the American people have voted.... I believe in the electorial process and that doesn't mean I believe it in only when it's going my way. America is blessed in so many ways and only God knows what our outcome will be. We have to trust that He will have his hand in this new chapter too...
I've heard it said that God never closes a door without opening a window...I'm trying to look at today not on a sad note but rather like a window open on a warm spring day...full of opportunity!

1 comment:

the hermits on the hill said...

Well done, Hal. As you know we share the same sentiments. I would just like to add that as I watched the acceptance speech, Rick Warrens prayer and Aretha Franklin's rendition of "America", I found myself with a kaleidoscope of emotion. A sobering humbleness at the gravity of the days events, a pride & appreciation in how far we've come as a nation, an introspection thinking of the lives lost to get us here and a gratitude that I could feel all those emotions in spite of the fact that he wasn't my choice for president. I'm proud to be an American.