Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Patriotic shirts

Every year, I try to find us some cute shirts to wear on the fourth of July. It makes for good family pictures and I love the tradition that we started from our first 4th of July as a family. If they weren't packed, I'd love to share pics of the first shirt DH created with a white t-shirt and spray paint! It actually turned out better than I expected and has last for many years now!

When I first saw this blog, I just knew I had to try it...I couldn't get to the store fast enough to get the shirts and paints! lol I was able to find cheap shirts for DH and myself at Walmart and then found the cutest little white dresses for the girls (complete with a white tutu!) and before I knew it, the girls and I were out in the grass getting creative with our shirts!

The night before, the girls and I talked about what we wanted our shirts to look like and I set to drawing on the stars and stripes with the Elmer's washable Gel glue.(I put the shirts on those cardboard cutouts with wax paper under the top layer of the shirt)....finding a place in the trailer for them to dry without the cats laying on them wa the trickiest part! lol


Once the shirts were dry, we took the shirts outside in the grass to paint with the watered down acrylic paints (I put the water in the cups and just a little bit of paint mixed in went a long way!)





The girls had a blast painting and I think they turned out cute!


Here they are all washed (I soaked them in wamr water to get the glue to soften so I could scrape it off with my nail) and ready to wear! I can't wait to take family pictures this year! And now my mind keeps thinking of all the other things I could make with this painting effect! The possibilities are endless!!! So go get crafty, there's still lots of time to make some patriotic shirts of your own!! Wear the stars and stripes with pride!

7 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Those are so cute! I wonder if I have time to make some...

Rustown Mom said...

So cute! I have never seen this technique before. We've done a lot of tie dyeing; we used to do one every summer so i could tell which kids were mine at a crowded park or pizza place - worked great and everyone complimented us...I miss when they were young enough to go along with it! (:

Kathleen said...

Those are so cute! We may just have to make some for the 4th. Following from the Friday blog hop. Please stop by and say hello if you get a chance.

Kathleen
http://www.lifewith4boys.com

Helena said...

Whoa, this is awesome! I love how they turned out. And weird, I can't see the letters as I type them. Well, hopefully the typos won't be too bad...

Stopping by from New Friend Friday

Design It Chic said...

Cute shirts! I am following you now thanks to Friendly Friday!! It would be nice if you would share back the love here! Happy Friendly Friday!

KyAnn (like Cayenne Pepper, only HOTTER) said...

Found you on Friday Follow. Great Blog! I'm your newest follower.

KyAnn

http://checketts-myers-clan.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

following you through friendly friday
http://mommalovesmee.blogpot.com