Friday, June 25, 2010

The Song remembers When-This Land is Your Land

As we all think about our plans for the upcoming 4th of July holiday weekend, it's hard not to think about the amazing patriotic songs we have in our history too...My girls have been learning this song and it brings such a smile to my face when I hear their little voices singing it. I don't know if its possible for them to fully understand how lucky we are to live in the country we do but I hope that this song stirs up the same kind of pride in our country and our military that it always has for me....Growing up, I didn't take part in a lot of patriotic songs, due to religious beliefs at the time, and I can remember asking if this song was ok to sing because we sang it in music class and I always loved it. I remember being asked why I would want to sing it and I just remember thinking that it made me proud to be an American and that the song just made me feel good. I know that pride isn't always a good thing, but I think the word pride can sometimes be interchangeable with the word "thankful"...and I am so thankful to have seen the diamond desserts and the wheat fields waving...and that my children can someday see the beauty of the redwoods and all the other amazing things this land has to offer... This land was made for you and me...

I have be so lucky to have seen Arlo (Woody Guthrie's son) a number of times and could listen to him sing forever...folk music speaks to the soul like non other!

No comments: